Thursday, August 27, 2009

What makes a really good blog

Before I was a psychotherapist and coach, I was a journalist. I've been blogging for a couple of years and researching lots of options, of which there are many on the Internet.

There's Blogger, Wordpress, Typepad, Live Journal, the last of which has a book-making option, and others, including the mini-blog known as Twitter. Through the years, I've been collecting "best practices" on blogs plus lots of articles. Here's a recent post from Small Business Trends about the plug-ins available at Word Press.

Now, I have a tendency to build empires, as many of you do, and I've been learning to slow down. So, let's start with the absolute basics:
  • Easy to read with dark type on white background.
  • Easy to navigate, with links easy to see and click.
  • 250 words or less.
  • Short paragraphs.
  • Regularly updated.
Here's more from another writer, who's obviously spent lots of time thinking and looking at blogs. The Web Worker Daily has several good points too.

Other than my own blogs, my current favorite easy-reading blog is Good Vibe Blog, published by Jeanette Maw, who calls herself the Good Vibe Coach.

That's 183 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Karen reserves the right to restrict comments that do not contribute constructively to the conversation at hand, contain profanity, personal attacks or seek to promote a personal agenda not related to the post topic.